Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wondercon 2014: Kelly Sue DeConnick

This year was our second year at Wondercon and since I didn't want to be such a noob (don't worry noobs, Jesus still loves you!), I was determined to get some autographs on my comics by people who have worked on my favorite comics. During day 1 (Friday) of Wondercon, I was able to meet Ms. Kelly Sue DeConnick! Kelly Sue (is it Kelly? or Kelly Sue? I'm from the south so usually when it sounds like it's said together, it's said together) has been writing one of my favorite Marvel NOW! comics, Captain Marvel, and she's really done an amazing job of making Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) into an inspirational figure for ladies and comic book fans in general. I was super nervous since this was my first comic book signing ever, but I just tried to be super humble. And she was super nice! It was just an absolute pleasure to meet her and finally being able to put a face to the name of the writer to one of my favorite heroes in the Marvel universe just made me want to support her work more. 

Kelly Sue and I after she signed my comics and I forgot I wanted a picture so I waited in line again for this one :( such a noob.


In the Marvel NOW! panel, Kelly Sue said that Carol Danvers has always had her head up, wanting to explore what's above the sky and so this new reboot back to #1 is just them letting her have her way and seeing what adventures she can have when given the freedom to explore outer space. Should be exciting since she's suppose to feature in the next issue of Guardians of the Galaxy (edit: the Guardians are actually featured in Captain Marvel #2)! Let's hope that Marvel keeps Kelly Sue on Captain Marvel for a long time. Here are some comics she's worked on that I got signed.
From L to R: Avengers Assemble #9, Captain Marvel #1, Captain Marvel (2014 )#1, and Avenging Spider-Man #9
I didn't know it but she also started her own comic with artist Emma Rios called Pretty Deadly and she was nominated for an Eisner Award (which is a big deal)! After hearing about the comic book at her spotlight panel, Mrs. Nerd was super curious and we decided to grab the first 5 issues and get them signed also. She's reading them and so far she loves them. I believe she said that they would release in 6 issue arcs and then a trade would follow. And she was also kind enough to tell Mrs. Nerd a little about the comic and where it starts to pick up. Go check this Eisner Award nominated comic out!
Pretty Deadly #1-5
It was such a pleasure for both Mrs. Nerd and me to meet Kelly Sue, she was so down to earth so it was easy to connect with her. At the Marvel NOW! panel (which was the 7:30pm panel after a very long day) Mrs. Nerd noticed that Kelly Sue looked like she was suffering from a pretty massive headache and so she (very unlike her) bravely worked her way past the staff and asked Kelly Sue if she needed a Tylenol. Luckily, Kelly Sue had already taken some medicine. Hope you're feeling better Kelly Sue and thanks for being a highlight to our Wondercon 2014 experience!

Support +Kelly Sue DeConnick by picking up one of her comics now! And check back tomorrow for day 2 of Wondercon 2014!

Blessings~!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comics

Gundam