Friday, April 25, 2014

Wondercon 2014: Mark Waid

Today my showcase is on Eisner award winning writer for my favorite comic Mark Waid. Mark writes the stories for Daredevil and the Indestructible Hulk (which is now just "Hulk"). His autograph was the very first thing that Mrs. Nerd and I went for when we got to Wondercon on Saturday afternoon. He wasn't there on the day before but it was scheduled for him to appear Saturday so when we got to his station, he wasn't there yet, but there was already a line starting to create a fire hazard. So in anticipation for his arrival, we jumped in line and waited for about 45 minutes. 
Mark Waid and I at his signing booth. He loves his fans!

Boy it was a real pleasure to meet Mark. I told him that I really appreciate the friendship that he's grown between Matt Murdock and Foggy Nelson and that it reminds me that true friendship (and love) still exists. And he was super humble just thanking me, then he told me something BIG about Matt and Foggy in the upcoming issues! Wow I was flabbergasted, that he would even grace me with that kind of information but it made me realize that he really appreciate fans who read his work and understand what he's trying to do. Boy I just felt like I could have a conversation with him forever. But there were others behind me, so I said it was a real pleasure and left. 
L to R: Daredevil #1 (2014), Indestructible Hulk #1, Daredevil #1, Hulk #1
When we saw him later at the Marvel NOW! panel, he said that the new Hulk series (which replaces Indestructible because if you read the last episode you see that he's not) will be different because in the past there have been so many different iterations of The Hulk (smart Hulk, dumb Hulk, green Hulk, gray Hulk, night club bouncer Hulk), but no one had ever messed with Bruce Banner. If you have read Hulk #1 then you know, Waid is messing with Bruce Banner! So awesome.

Mark loves to talk comics and as a fan, when I realized he's also a fan, but he just happens to write the comic that both him and I are a fan of, he appreciates it so much, it made me want to support him all the more. Thanks Mark for a very memorable experience at Wondercon 2014!

Pick up +Mark Waid's Daredevil and Hulk at your comic book store now! Also check out thrillbent.com for his new comic website.

Blessings~!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comics

Gundam