Friday, February 7, 2014

Comic Book of the Week 2/07/14

So this week's CBotW is actually TWO comics! Because Marvel is starting the "Marvel NOW!" line, there are a lot of new comics coming out and this week we have a couple comics, one for a new take on an old villain, and the other, one of my personal favorites since I was a child.



The first comic I want to mention is "Loki: Agent of Asgard". This comic features a reborn and young adult version of Loki (don't ask me about how he was reborn, that's another post and wikipedia is so close, isn't it?) who is trying to set his past misdeeds right by serving as the All-Mother's secret agent. But that's no reason for he can't employ his talents of lying, trickery, mischief, and and all around deception in his new occupation. As a matter of fact, his first target is his own brother Thor and the Avengers~! This book was just fun, and if you loved Loki like I did in Thor 2 then you'll love him in this his new comic.


My second CBotW is Punisher #1. I am a sucker for the Punisher and have been since I was a kid and I picked up Punisher strapped to the barrel of a giant cannon during the Gulf War. I know that he's the anti-hero and he kills, and most often violently. But I can't help it, I've always been drawn to Frank Castle's brokenness and the vengeance he wreaks on the scum of the underbelly of society. Unfortunately, for most of his history he has operated mostly out of New York which is superhero central. But no longer! The Punisher is here in LA! And he's here to clean up the west coast from the evil doers. First up, a Mexican drug cartel. I'm really glad that Frank has relocated because I've always thought that his comic works better away from all of the other Marvel Universe superheroes. He's a lone wolf and he fights evil on a different level, on a darker human level. I also really like the Punisher because we always hear about how seedy the world can be with drug trafficking and sex trafficking and before Liam Neeson showed his "special set of skills" in "Taken" it was The Punisher who dealt with all manner of crimes against the bad people in the shady parts of society. I guess it makes me feel a little safer at night knowing Frank's out there balancing out the world, even if he is a comic book character.

These are both great reads this week so make sure you make it out to Undercity Comics or the comic book shop near you today!

Blessings~!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comics

Gundam